Σάββατο 9 Απριλίου 2011

"Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth."


Pablo [Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y] Picasso (25 October 1881 – 8 April 1973) 
        "art is stronger than me. It forces me to do what it wants"

The First Communion(1896)  
    In all honesty, I do not like Picasso's work that much, especially the works of the cubist period, and generally I do not approve of the way he chose to lead his life. Howevever, I am no one to judge and besides, I certainly cannot deny that he was an extremely talented and endowed individual. From the age of 15 he could complete paintings equivalent to the ones of an experienced artist, such as The First Communion(1896). In his later works, most apparent is the freedom he had concerning his art. He had no reservations and he expressed himself with such liberty, that one might even call it audacity. Furthermore, there is no doubt as to the fact that he was the one that eshtablished Cubism, in a certainly bold mannor, while he gave a new insight on the ways art can evolve through the years.


Self Portrait, 1901
Guitar, 1913

            
 Picasso once gave a young painter the advice, "paint what passes through your head without stopping to think whether it is good or bad."

"for myself, I do not seek applause, I am not interested in the opinions of others, and I don't care about what is in vogue."

Massacre in Korea, 1951
Guernica,1937 
On Guernica Picasso said  "It isn’t up to the painter to define the symbols. Otherwise it would be better if he wrote them out in so many words! The public who look at the picture must interpret the symbols as they understand them.”


 "The Spanish struggle is the fight of reaction against the people, against freedom. My whole life as an artist has been nothing more than a continuous struggle against reaction and the death of art. How could anybody think for a moment that I could be in agreement with reaction and death? ... In the panel on which I am working, which I shall call Guernica, and in all my recent works of art, I clearly express my abhorrence of the military caste which has sunk Spain in an ocean of pain and death."



Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου